Monthly Archives: April 2018

The fort on top of Kommandonek

2018-04-08T08:59:20+00:00

BRTISH FORTS ON KOSMOS MOUNTAIN AND KOMMANDONEK In June 1901 the Lincolnshires built blockhouses, five in all, on Kalkheuvel guarding the entrance to the route through to the Moot, followed by another one at ‘Orange Grove’ (019) on the hill overlooking the farm Klipfontein guarding the exit into the Moot. Much time and effort at

The fort on top of Kommandonek 2018-04-08T08:59:20+00:00

Silkaatsnek

2018-04-08T09:10:23+00:00

The following report on the battle of Silkaats Neck by prof Ian Copley, is mainly based on research in British military archives. In the afternoon of the 7th July 1900 the Royal Scots Greys, who were at Derdepoort (between Pretoria and Waterval), started for Silkaats nek to relieve the 1500 men and two batteries at

Silkaatsnek 2018-04-08T09:10:23+00:00

The cross on top of the koppie

2018-04-08T08:42:01+00:00

Saartjiesneck lies in the Witwatersberg range, south of the dam and is the main gateway to the Hartebeespoortdam area. This mountain range is a smaller resemblance to the Magaliesberg, with the same general rock formations. The name “Saartjiesneck” could have one of several origins. One explanation is that it is an Afrikaans distortion of  “Seargent’s

The cross on top of the koppie 2018-04-08T08:42:01+00:00

The Magaliesberg

2018-04-08T09:13:31+00:00

Magaliesberg (historically also known as the Cashan Mountains) is a mountain range extending west and north from Pretoria to just south of Pilanesberg and extending for some 50 km east of Pretoria where it peters out just south of Bronkhorstspruit. The highest point of the Magaliesberg is reached at Nooitgedacht (1 852 metres) 25.8583°S 27.530°E.

The Magaliesberg 2018-04-08T09:13:31+00:00

The building of Hartbeespoort Dam

2018-04-08T08:22:00+00:00

The greatest single event in the history of the area was the building of the Hartbeespoort Dam. The first dam in the valley between the Magalies Mountain and Witwatersrand (south of the Dam) was build by General Hendrik Schoeman in 1898 and called Sophia Dam, named after his wife. Unfortunately, the engineer who designed the

The building of Hartbeespoort Dam 2018-04-08T08:22:00+00:00